Aug 272013
 

“Dried Rose With Essential Rose Oils” by Praisaeng

As you can probably tell by some of the articles and options on The Dog Express, we genuinely believe in the use and success rate of herbal and natural remedies when treating dogs and as two of The Dog Express team are qualified herbalists, we also know what we are talking about (which always helps!)

We have already published some great articles and ailment advice pages covering the below health concerns and we love to hear from our readers with their queries and tips for treating their pets the natural way, so please comment below:-

In this article we wanted to focus on the less urgent, but more common ailments that may happen to your dog and the importance of having a natural first aid kit at the ready. When we talk about first aid, we are not noting the essentials such as bandages, scissors etc but are focusing on natural, herbal and homeopathic remedies that can treat sudden, minor or acute injuries or incidents.

Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets

The Rescue Remedy Pet 10ml bottle is a lifesaver and should be the first addition to your natural first aid kit. Although you can buy and use regular rescue remedy, this version is specially formulated for pets an d so you can be sure of the dosage and user instructions. It is the ideal way to calm your dogs in instances such as fear of travelling, after an minor injury, events (fireworks etc), noisy situations, visits to the vets, car rides and much more. Rescue Remedy is recommended by vets and is completely natural.

Calendula Spray

A must for minor scrapes, wounds and abrasions. Calendula is a natural antiseptic and will clean the wound prior to dressing (if needed). It is a potent germ killer and is also harmless if the dog licks it after application. It also has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties so is an all rounder for your pet first aid kit.

Homeopathic Remedies

There are several vials of homeopathic remedies that you should be carrying and because they are completely natural (80% being made from plant extracts and the other 20% coming form minerals and salts), you can rest assured they are 100% safe.

  • Apis Mel 30c – use for bee stings, swelling and hives
  • Arnica 30c – use to reduce bruising, sprains, trauma, shock and knocks
  • Rhus Tox 30c – use for arthritis, skin rashes and general sprains
  • Silicea 30c – use for abscesses, skin conditions and sties

Lavender Essential Oil (diluted where instructed)

“A Cartoon Dog Doctor Or Vet” by Grant Cochrane

As with the Calendula spray/cream, lavender essential oil is excellent for cleaning wounds, but it also promotes healing. It can sting slightly so care should be taken. As with people, lavender oil is also great for calming and aiding sleep, especially after traumatic events such as operations, fireworks, thunder storms etc.

Slippery Elm Bark

This can be bought in capsule or tablet form and work well on gastrointestinal ailments because it soothes the digestive tract and normalises intestinal activity. After cases of constipation or diarrhoea, use this herbal remedy to calm and soothe. This treatment can also be good prior to car rides if the dogs is very nervous and tends to get and upset stomach.

Eyebright

Usually bought as capsules or a tincture, Eyebright (also known as Euphrasia) can be brewed into a tea and cooled to use as an effective eye wash. Dog often get irritated eyes and a natural eye wash can be very effective in dislodging dust or hair particles as well as treating infections. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is often used as a natural remedy for conjunctivitis.

Natural-Wonder-Pets

As with all advice that we give on using natural and herbal remedies, never replace the use of a professional or vet where your dog is concerned. Natural remedies are excellent for treating minor ailments and as an alternative to chemical/pharmaceutical based products when used responsibly and with the correct knowledge.

 August 27, 2013  Posted by on August 27, 2013 General, Health & Wellbeing, Posts  Add comments

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>